With summer just around the corner, we all know what that means — time to spend as much time as possible outdoors and enjoy nature’s beauty. Unfortunately, with that comes the typical consequences of spending all day indoors with your phone and a Netflix subscription. With little sunlight available outside, our bodies naturally begin to show signs of fatigue, which is why it’s so important to keep up a healthy lifestyle year-round if you want to avoid looking older than your years. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to a personal trainer or have an understanding family member who can introduce you to new activities and help you stay active throughout the year. That’s why we have this blog and articles like these!
Start by assessing your fitness level
Before you start planning your summer fitness routine, it’s important to assess your current fitness level. Ask yourself a few questions like, “Am I exercising a few times a week?” or “Do I have the motivation and drive to stay active in addition to my everyday life?” If you feel like you don’t have the time or energy to spare, it might be time for a change in lifestyle. If you take those steps first and start with assessing your fitness level, it will help you better understand what type of exercise will work best for you. You can then use that information to plan out this summer’s activities! Here are our top tips for staying fit this summer:
1) Start with walking and build up from there It doesn’t matter if you think walking is too easy or boring; start with walking because it is easier and more sustainable than running. You should also start by building up from there and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts as the days go on.
2) Engage in resistance training Resistance training helps build muscle mass, which allows us to burn more calories even when we are sitting on the couch at home watching Netflix. It also increases bone density and gives us a healthy posture so we look good while enjoying our winter’s hibernation period!
3) Keep your body moving. It is important to keep our bodies moving throughout the day so that you burn more calories, something as simple as taking the stairs can help you burn off that snack you know you shouldn’t have had.
4) Find a new activity to get energized. There are so many ways you can get in shape for summer, but the best way is to pick something that works for you and your lifestyle. For example, if you’re someone who loves taking hikes or running along the beach, then these activities are perfect for you. Other options include swimming or doing yoga. And remember: it doesn’t have to be something active! It can be as simple as going on a walk around the block with your dog or just hanging out at home and watching some Netflix.
5) Drink plenty of water Hydration is one of the most important ways to stay healthy and avoid looking older than you actually are — it also helps keep up that youthful glow everyone craves during the summer season. Drinking water is also an easy way to prevent fatigue throughout the day, which keeps your workouts more efficient and fun!
6) Get enough sleep As we know, sleep is essential for our bodies — especially when we are in a physically active nature like the outdoors — so it’s always important to make sure we get enough sleep every night! Not only will this help us feel better and more energized throughout the day, but it’ll also make sure our bodies have time to repair themselves after long days of outdoor activities with no rest periods in between them! And lastly, make sure not to skip meals either; this will help support our health by keeping us fuller
Set realistic goals for yourself
When starting a new exercise routine, it’s important to set realistic goals for yourself. If you have zero experience with a particular activity, you should start slowly and then build up as time goes on. You can also find other people who are in the same boat as you and create a buddy system in order to motivate each other. Another great way to stay motivated is by finding creative ways to exercise. For example, if you love the beach, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get outside and still enjoy the sunny weather! Here are some other options for getting in shape for summer: -Cycle workouts -Hiking -Dance workouts -Take bike rides at home or around your neighborhood -Swimming in a pool
Find an exercise routine that you enjoy
The best way to stay active and watch the years pass by is to find a routine that you enjoy. If you enjoy going to the gym, try something new like dancing or yoga. That way, you won’t be bored at home when it comes time for your next workout.
Drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods
Water is your body’s most important nutrient, and dehydration can cause a lot of problems. Your brain, muscles, and other organs need water to function properly. That’s why it’s so important to drink plenty of water throughout the day — even if you’re not thirsty! You should also eat healthy foods that are high in nutrients, like fruits, veggies and whole grains. These types of foods provide a ton of energy for your body and are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help promote healthy skin and hair. Extending your time outside doesn’t have to be such a difficult task when you take these small steps!
Take time for yourself to relax and de-stress
It’s important to take time for yourself throughout the year and during the summer, too. It doesn’t have to be done all at once, but it’s always a good idea to allow yourself to relax and de-stress once in a while. Here are five ways to get in shape for the beach season:
1) Take time for yourself with a bubble bath and new book
2) Get outdoors and exercise outside
3) Try something new! There is always a new activity you can try that you haven’t tried before.
4) If you live near water, jump into the ocean or pool… then come back in!
5) Drinks aren’t an excuse. If you’re not drinking alcohol this summer, make sure you’re still getting some hydration in with healthy juices or water.
Summer is a time where we all want to feel our best, and that’s why it’s so important to take care of ourselves both physically and mentally. By following these simple tips, you’ll be able to stay healthy, active, and motivated throughout the summer season!